Shilajit is a sticky tar-like black substance which forms as a result of a long process of breaking down plant matter and minerals.
Pure Shilajit contains 85+ minerals in ionic form including gold and silver. It usually consists of 60-80% organic matter, 20-35% mineral matter, and 5% trace elements. The primary component of shilajit is fulvic acid, which is a powerful antioxidant.
Shilajit (Moomiyo, mumujo) has been known as a natural rejuvenator of the body for thousands of years.
Shilajit health benefits
Studies show that shilajit has many health benefits:
- increases the testosterone level;(1)
- may prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease;(2)
- may reduce symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome improving energy levels;(3)
- slows the aging process, protects against free radicals and cellular damage; (4)
- fights iron deficiency anemia;(5)
- aids in male fertility by increasing the sperm count and motility;(6)
- may improve heart health;(7)
- regulates hormones and immune system;(8, 9)
- helps bones regenerate; (10, 11)
- aids in breaking addictions. (12, 13)
How to Take Shilajit (Moomiyo)
The recommended daily dose of shilajit for adults is 300 to 500 mg per day
🍀 Dissolve a portion the size of a grain of rice or a pea size of shilajit resin in liquid and drink 1-3 times a day. You can also take shilajit powder twice a day with milk. (source: Dr.Axe)
🍀 It’s best to take shilajit in the morning on an empty stomach. Take for 10 days, then take a break for 5-10 days. Repeat the cycle 3-4 times.
If shilajit is in solid resin form then a 1/3 size of a green pea equals to about 150-170 mg of shilajit.
1 rice grain size of solid resin shilajit equals to 100 mg of shilajit.
Shilajit resin size and amount:
- 1 green pea size solid shilajit resin – 500 mg;
- 1 rice grain size solid shilajit resin – 100 mg;
- 1/16 teaspoon shilajit powder – 150 mg.
Soft resin shilajit or liquid shilajit serving sizes can vary depending on how soft or diluted they are.
How to Make Shilajit Taste Better?
🍀 Soft or liquid shilajit resin can be mixed with honey which makes it taste like coffee.
🍀 You can reduce the taste by swallowing frozen pieces of shilajit with water. Take a small amount out with the point of a knife and form into little balls on parchment paper. Freeze the balls and put them into a container after frozen. Store the container with balls in the freezer. Every morning put one ball of shilajit in your mouth and drink it down with water. Make a half pea sized balls to get 250 mg of shilajit.
Where to get Shilajit?
Shilajit is sold in different forms: solid, soft resin, liquid, or powder.
How to test shilajit for purity:
- Pure shilajit easily dissolves in water and leaves no residue. If it doesn’t dissolve or mix well with water, then it’s not pure.
- Pure shilajit doesn’t dissolve in alcohol.
- Pure shilajit doesn’t burn when it comes in contact with flame. It starts bubbling and produces an ash like substance at the end.
- Shilajit holds its form, can melt in hand, can become sticky.
- Pure shilajit becomes very hard in the refrigerator.
Shilajit is not easy to handle. It sticks everywhere. When it’s dry, it can be hard as a rock. So the easiest way is adding some liquid to it and melting it. As mentioned above, pure shilajit completely dissolves in water.
Where to get shilajit: