How to cook Short grain White Rice? In this post, I am going to introduce you an easy method of cooking short-grain rice on a stovetop, without a pressure-cooker.
Short grain white rice is sticky rice which is used worldwide as a side dish, especially in Korean cuisine. Short grain rice pairs well with lots of foods, including meat, eggs, kimchi, vegetables, and others.
It is also used to prepare Kimbap – traditional Korean sushi.
I love this rice paired with Kimchi – Korean fermented cabbage.
How to cook Short grain White Rice
- 1 cups of Organic Short-grain White rice
- 2 cups of Filtered water
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Butter or 1 tsp Toasted Sesame oil
How to cook Short grain White Rice:
1. Wash 1 cups of short-grain rice, put in a medium pot. Pour 2 cups of filtered water over the rice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Bring to boil.
2. Let the rice boil on Medium heat until the liquid reduces significantly. Do NOT mix at all.
3. When the liquid is reduced and you can see the rice on the surface, reduce the heat to the lowest heat and cover the lid. Let it cook for 7 minutes. After seven minutes, turn off the heat but do not open the lid yet. Let the rice stay covered for about 10-15 minutes, or until cools down.
4. When the cooked rice cools down, open the lid.
5. Taste the rice and sprinkle more salt for your liking if you feel you need more salt. Gently mix. Optional step.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of butter. If you are going to use the rice for making kimbap, then use 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil instead of butter.
7. Fluff with a wooden spoon or a rice spoon.