This herbal PANDAS treatment protocol was outlined in Stephen Harrod Buhner’s “Healing Lyme” book (2nd edition).
According to NIMH, as many as 1 in 200 children in the US may suffer from PANDAS/PANS, which is post-infectious autoimmune encephalitis caused by Streptococcus.
A child may be diagnosed with PANDAS/PANS when OCD, tic disorder, and/or other symptoms appear (or become worse) following a strep infection, such as strep throat or scarlet fever.
PANDAS is a pediatric disorder that typically appears from age 3 to puberty.
The strep bacteria survive in the human body by hiding from the immune system as long as possible by putting molecules on its cell wall so it looks identical to molecules found on the child’s heart, joints, skin, and brain tissues. At first, this molecular mimicry allows the strep bacteria to evade detection by the immune system for a long time.
The molecules on the strep bacteria are eventually recognized as foreign to the body and the child’s immune system starts producing antibodies. However, the immune system reacts not only to the strep bacteria molecule but also attacks the human host molecules that were mimicked.
Some cross-reactive antibodies target the brain molecules causing OCD, tics, and other symptoms of PANDAS.
What are the symptoms of PANDAS/PANS?
Some of the symptoms of PANDAS/PANS:
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Restrictive Eating: selective eating and food refusal
- Irritability and Aggression
- Sensory Sensitivities: sensitivity to touch, sounds, and noise
- Separation Anxiety
- Severe Anxiety
- Loss of Cognitive Skills
- Tics: repetitive movements or sounds
- Emotional Lability: uncontrollable crying or laughing (not being able to control one’s emotional response)
- Urinary Problems: daytime wetting accidents or frequent urination
- Frequent mood changes
- Joint pains
- ADHD symptoms: hyperactivity, inattention, fidgety
More about the symptoms:
Herbal PANDAS Treatment Protocol by Stephen Harrod Buhner
|Herbal Supplement||Suggested Dosage||Frequency|
tincture(Suggested brand from the source: The Montana Farmacy)
up to 30 drops for older children
baicalensis)*Must be exactly this plant species, not other(Suggested brand from the source: Elk Mountain Herbs)
up to 30 drops for older children
(Suggested brand from the source: The Montana Farmacy)
(for those with
sensitivity)(Suggested brand from the source: Herb Pharm)
|Omega 3 oils (Fermented cod liver oil)||½ teaspoon
or follow instructions on the bottle
|Vitamin D3||2000 IU||Day|
root tincture FOR
dairy, sugar (GAPs
How to get the child to drink the tinctures
You can put the drops in a small medicine cup, then ad some juice. If it’s still too bitter, then add the drops to a cup of juice. Grape juice can cover up the bitterness.
Other popular natural PANDAS treatment protocol or methods
1). PANDAS treatment method from Jacklyn, who saw the improvements in two weeks:
- Diatomaceous Earth (DE) against parasites: 1 Tablespoon a day.
- Oregano leaf tincture twice a day: 5-10 drops for younger children, 30-40 drops for older (11 y.o.) children. Start very slowly.
- Additional Intestinal tract defense for killing parasites after 10 days of Oregano. She continued all three treatments together for another week.
- “Magnesium is as important as Air and Water! Signs of Magnesium Deficiency & Recommended Daily Amount”
- “ADHD (Attention-Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders) Signs by Age”
- “Healing Foods, Herbs, and Supplements for ADHD and Autism”